Dear Denton Bicyclists and Bike Supporters,
I think and feel that the time is right to organize and grow a unified voice for bicyclists of all kinds to encourage more bike ridership and make the streets of Denton more bike-friendly. I am interested in getting the wheels turning to organize the Denton Bicycle Coalition (DBC) for the purpose of engaging in advocacy, education, and community building in the City of Denton. There are many bicycle-friendly businesses, groups, and individuals, but no all-encompassing advocacy organization to amplify the voices of these businesses, groups, and individuals to city council, DCTA, businesses, schools, etc.
Denton is in a good position to support a bicycle coalition with these established groups and businesses:
Some action items for a Denton bicycle coalition might include:
– Encourage more child, female, family, and minority ridership
– Attend all city council meetings and encourage city leaders to move forward in the implementation of the Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan – Work closely with and support the work of the city’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator
– Educate citizens about bicycle safety, skills, and maintenance through classes and workshops (Denton has at least one League Cycling Instructor)
– Support and partner with Querencia and other non-profit bike organizations on local, state, and national levels
– Encourage businesses to welcome bike-riding customers
– Recognize bike-friendly businesses
– Identify safe routes in Denton with online maps – Assess streets and routes for safety and repair
– Endorse bike-friendly candidates and legislation on local, state, and national levels
– Provide information resources and referrals (insurance, legal help, travel ideas)
– Sponsor bike art contest and short bike film contest
– Organize or sponsor group rides, bike camping, bikepacking, and races for charity, non-profits, or Denton Public Library
– Partner with DISD for bike safety/skills educational outreach
– Collaborate with TWU and UNT during orientations, welcome week, and other events for outreach and education
– Have outreach booths at Community Market, Jazz Fest, Blues Fest, Cinco de Mayo, Redbud Fest, 35Denton, etc.
– Seek grants and awards to support activities of DBC
– Work with Denton Police Department and help in recovery of stolen bikes and encourage online bike registration
One mid-range goal would be to apply for Bicycle Friendly Community status as recognized by the Bicycle League of America. There are only four BFCs in Texas (Austin, Houston, San Antonio, The Woodlands).
Some coalitions that DBC might model its work and mission after include:
I would like to meet to get your input, feedback, and ideas.
Bikes welcome! Cars, too. Adult beverages will be provided.
I hope to see you there!